Better Practice Awards 2017
Better Practice Awards are now open. Click here to submit your nomination click here
Our Better Practice Awards are presented each year for projects, initiatives or programs that act as exemplars for other aged care service providers to assist and to encourage improvement to care and services. The Better Practice Awards recognise and disseminate better practice and innovation across the broad spectrum of aged care services including:
- Residential aged care homes
- Home care services
- Home and Community Care
- National Respite for Carers
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flexible care
From 2017, we are introducing some exciting changes to our Better Practice Awards Program.
Our Awards program will continue to recognise better practice through its “Better Practice Commendation Awards” (exemplars). These awards will retain a clear focus on quality and safety for consumers, as in previous years.
However, in addition to these Commendation Awards, we are introducing a new higher tier to the Better Practice Awards Program – the “National Innovation and Excellence in Aged Care” awards. This new tier recognises a smaller number of providers, nationally, demonstrating leading edge, innovative practices in aged care that represent ‘excellence’.These awards are designed to celebrate those providers who are industry leaders in aged care and who are worthy of both national and international recognition in aged care practice.
Up to five of these awards will be offered nationally. The following factors would be typical of such programmes or initiatives at this level of award:
- An organisational culture that achieves outcomes in people’s lives, not just in service delivery
- Continuous improvement approach that demonstrates line-of-sight from senior leadership to the frontline staff and services.
- Clear benefits for the aged care sector, not just the organisation
- Innovation or excellence beyond existing or competing initiatives
- Is innovative and original
- Creative individual centred design, flexibility and consumer engagement
- Service delivery supports the ‘total wellbeing’ of each person. This includes physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs
We will be recognising our 2017 winners at a Better Practice Awards reception event at the end of Day 1 of our Better Practice Sydney event.
The Award descriptors include:
- Leadership and culture
- Workforce development
- Health and wellbeing
- Dementia care
- Clinical care / medication management
- Enablement and / or transition care
- Consumer engagement and / or co-design
- Social participation and lifestyle
- Technology and / or social media
- Living environment and / or Sustainability
Nominations will be open from 1 - 30 April.
To be eligible, applicants must be an Australian Government-funded home / service who are subject to accreditation or quality audits by the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency:
- Home care service
- Home and Community Care service provider
- Residential aged care home
- National Respite for Carers provider
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flexible care service provider
In addition the service must have no cases of failures to meet the applicable Standards in the 24 months prior to 1 April 2017.
The project, initiative or program nominated must have been in place for a sufficiently long enough period to demonstrate outcomes for clients and have qualitative and/or quantitative data. A period of more than 12 months is suggested.
Applicants will be asked to agree that we can publish case study information about their Award-winning program including up to three photos.
We do not undertake to provide reasons or any form of explanation where a nomination is not granted an Award. Award decisions are final and there is no entitlement to review.
All nominations are assessed by an expert independent panel against selection criteria including a focus on quality of care and quality of life outcomes for consumers.
For further information please refer to the Better Practice Nomination Guide 2017.
Register for our Quality Standard journal for regular updates, nomination details and times frames.